VOLUNTARY CORRECTIVE ACTION
VOLUNTARY CORRECTIVE ACTION
Updated: 30 November 2022
Background of the ongoing Voluntary Replacement Program: LG Energy Solution Europe GmbH is undertaking a voluntary replacement program for certain residential energy storage system batteries (ESS Home Batteries) equipped with cells manufactured between 29 March 2017 and 13 September 2018 (Voluntary Replacement Program). LG Energy Solution first announced the Voluntary Replacement Program on 24 February 2021 and later expanded it in August 2021 to include additional battery models.
Update (November 2022) - Additional batteries subject to the Voluntary Corrective Action: A new voluntary corrective action was recently notified by LG Energy Solution which covers ESS Home Batteries equipped with cells manufactured between 21 January 2016 to 28 March 2017, or between 14 September 2018 to 30 June 2019 (hereinafter, Diagnostic Software Update). If you have not already had your unit replaced as part of the Voluntary Replacement Program, you should check your product again to see if your unit is subject to the Diagnostic Software Update.
The affected ESS Home Batteries may overheat and catch fire.
Click here to watch a video about how to check the serial number of your "RESU" battery.
To check whether your battery is affected by either the Voluntary Replacement Program or the Diagnostic Software Update, please enter your battery's serial number in the serial number check
Affected batteries ESS Home Batteries are marked with a unique serial number, which can be used to identify affected batteries.
Models with affected batteries include:
• RESU7H_SEG (i.e. RESU7H_Type R)
• RESU7H_DLT (i.e. RESU7H_Type C)
• RESU10H_SEG1 (i.e. RESU10H_Type R)
• RESU10H_DLT (i.e. RESU10H_Type C)
• S/A Gen2 1P (EM048063P3S2, EM048063P3S4, EM048063P3S5)
• S/A Gen2 2P (EM048126P3S2, EM048126P3S7, EM048126P3S8)
How do I know if I have an affected product?
You will need to first identify the serial number of your ESS Home Battery.
If you have a RESU battery (LG branded system):
• Please use the guidance at the bottom of this page to identify your battery's serial number. If you need help, please immediately contact LG Energy Solution Europe GmbH using the contact details below.
• To check whether your battery is affected, please enter your battery's serial number in the serial number check page here.
I checked my serial number and my battery is subject to the Voluntary Replacement Program and requires replacement
What should I do?
• If your battery is affected, you should immediately switch off your battery storage system and keep it switched off to minimise the potential of overheating.
• To switch off the battery storage systems safely, you should refer to the instructions for the battery storage system or contact the installer or LG Energy Solution Europe GmbH for advice.
What happens next?
• LG Energy Solution Europe GmbH will replace affected ESS Home Batteries in the coming months. This replacement will be free of charge (including technician time). LG Energy Solution Europe GmbH can advise whether a replacement battery is currently available in stock (or when one will be available).
• Until a replacement is available, LG Energy Solution Europe GmbH is also offering to reduce the maximum state of charge of the battery to 75% to reduce the potential of overheating until the batteries are replaced or removed.
• This charge reduction is only a short-term remedial measure.
• This charge reduction cannot be applied to RESU7H Type-C and RESU10H Type-C batteries, which must be switched off until replacement or removal.
• LG Energy Solution Europe GmbH can apply this charge reduction remotely where possible and will organise site visits for charge reductions to batteries that cannot be accessed remotely.
• LG Energy Solution Europe GmbH is offering compensation to consumers to offset any damages caused by the switch-off or charge reduction of affected batteries.
I checked my serial number and my battery is subject to the Voluntary Corrective Action and requires diagnostic software to be installed
LG Energy Solution Europe GmbH will be installing diagnostic software in affected batteries that is intended to identify and shut down batteries at potential risk of overheating. LG Energy Solution Europe GmbH will send further information to affected consumers who receive the diagnostic software. LG Energy Solution Europe GmbH will replace all batteries shut down by the software for free.
LG Energy Solution Europe GmbH will arrange for remote software updates to affected batteries that are online (where possible), from November 2022 on.
LG Energy Solution Europe GmbH will organise site visits for batteries that cannot be accessed remotely (which are planned to commence from April 2023 on) so that the software can be installed by a technician at no charge.
What should I do?
• Please contact us to check without any delay if your battery can only be updated by site visit, and if so to arrange the software update, or if you have any other questions.
• If your battery is affected by the Voluntary Corrective Action, please keep your battery powered on and connected online so that, where possible, LG Energy Solution may deliver the software update to your battery remotely.
What happens next?
• If your battery switches off, please contact LG Energy Solution Europe GmbH for further instructions and to arrange a replacement unit. Do not attempt to turn the battery back on.
If you have any questions, please contact LG Energy Solution Europe GmbH by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: +49 (0) 6196 5719 699
About LG Energy Solution
LG Energy Solution is a global leader delivering advanced lithium-ion batteries for Electric Vehicles (EV), Mobility & IT applications, and Energy Storage Systems (ESS). With 30 years of experience in advanced battery technology, it continues to grow rapidly towards the realization of sustainable life. With over 23,000 employees working within its robust global network that spans the US, Asia, Australia and Europe, LG Energy Solution is more committed than ever to developing innovative technologies that will bring the future energy a step closer. For more information, please visit https://www.lgensol.com.
How to identify the serial number of your RESU battery:
The following illustration shows how the unique serial number appears on a sample ESS RESU Home Battery. Serial numbers begin with "R" and are 22 or 23 characters (a mix of letters and numbers). In the example below, the unique serial number is "R15563P3SSEG11610317001".
For RESU 7H and RESU10H (Type C and Type R).
There are two methods to check the serial number, which appears in two places.
1. Underneath the battery, adjacent to the cable entry. By using a smartphone, you can photograph this label. You could try selfie mode.
Please note that with this method, it may not be possible to capture the QR code, meaning you need to transcribe the serial number manually.
2. Behind the access cover at the right bottom side of the battery. To access:
(i) Open the two latches by pressing the child-proof tab with your thumb before unlatching.
(ii) Remove the access cover by opening slightly (2-10 degrees) and lifting off. Be sure to lift the door off - it is not hinged.
(iii) You can then see the serial number label on a clear plastic cover. You can either photograph and transcribe it manually or, if your smart-phone has QR capture, direct it at the QR code to capture as text.
(iv) Reattach the cover by holding in place and re-latching.
For RESU3.3, RESU6.5, RESU13 and RESU10
It is not always possible for customers to directly determine the serial number, due to its location underneath battery cables, but you may attempt before turning to the alternative options outlined below.
To determine the serial number directly:
i. Look to the right side of the battery.
ii. You may see the serial number label partially obscured by battery cables and/or conduit. You can either photograph and transcribe it manually or, if your smart-phone has QR capture, direct it at the QR code to capture as text.
Do NOT attempt to dismantle the battery or cabling for easier access to the serial number.
You will find the battery serial number on the product label attached underneath the top cover.
For further information, please contact LG Energy Solution Europe GmbH product department by phone on +49 (0) 6196 5719 699 or email at email@example.com.